Punjabi chole is the most popular dish of India even any occasion is incomplete without making spicy and flavorful chole. is a very delicious dish, whenever I invite to guest for dinner, surely I cook Punjabi chole for them and then served it along with bhature and many kinds of things like naan, chawal, simple roti but the combo of chole with garlic naan are one of the most irresistible and delicious food ever.
This post will help you to make a very delicious and flavorful curry which you can serve it along with naan, simple rice, poori, roti, jeera rice, and garlic naan too.
ABOUT THE RECIPE
this curry recipe is very simple and easy to make at home.this is the best recipe for serving in dinner and for guests. before makin
first, you need to soak the chickpeas( chole) for about 8 to 9 hours or overnight. if you forget to soak the chickpeas at night then you can soak them in hot water for 2 to 3 hours by covering the bowl of chickpeas completely and you are making the curry without soaking them, it will take a lot of time to soften it slightly.
Choosing spice powder
this curry is a flavorful recipe, you will add a lot of spices to make them delicious, while boiling the chickpeas we need to add spices to whom we are known as khade masale like uncrushed black pepper, black cardamom, cinnamon stick, cloves, and bay leaves, etc. while making the mixture, we also need to add some spices as Kashmiri red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds, garam masala, turmeric powder etc.
Make Onion & Tomato masala
onion & tomato are the most important thing to give the curry a good taste, I can’t prepare any curry without having onion.it forms the base of all dishes We can put them in curry in two ways. The first is to chop them finely and the second is to make the puree of them slightly. but the flavor of puree is too good as compare to chopping it so before boiling the chickpeas you should prepare the puree of onions and tomatoes first.
Simmering the Chole curry
The flavorful masala is the most important step which makes the curry irresistible and delicious so you should saute it very well till the smell of onions and tomatoes go away.
INGREDIENTS FOR making Chole
- Chickpeas(chole/kabuli chana)-250 gm
- (Soak it in normal water for 9 hours or overnight)
- Chopped onion-2(medium)
- Chopped tomato-1(large)
- Chopped ginger-2 inch
- Garlic cloves(peeled)-4 to 5
- (Bay leaves, black cardamom, black pepper cinnamon)
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1 tsp
- Red chili powder-1 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Garam masala powder-1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste or 1.5 tsp
- Chole masala(any brand)-1 tsp
- Cooking oil -4 tsp
- ghee – 4 tsp
- Coriander leaves- for tempering
HOW TO MAKE CHOLE WITH SIMPLE METHOD
- STEP 1st:- First soak the chickpeas for 8 to 9 hours or overnight. The second day drains the water which we had soaked then clean it with normal water.
- STEP 2nd: add the soaked chickpeas to a pressure cooker, add 3 glasses of water, add salt as per taste, and pressure cook the chickpeas for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Instructions:- To giving a more flavorful texture add some spices additionally, like Black Pepper, Cloves, Bay leaves, Cinnamon Stick, black cardamom, etc.
- to achieve the darker color, you can add black tea along with all these spices
- add all the spices in a parcel and then put it in the pressure cooker
- STEP 3rd: take some chopped green chili, some cloves of garlic, a little bit of ginger in a mortar & pestle, and make the paste
- STEP 4th: take 1 tomato and 2 onions, chopped roughly, and make the paste separately.
- STEP 5th: After getting a 4 to 5 whistle, take off the cooker from the flame, open the lid, and remove the parcel of spices. chickpeas should be cooked softened and mash it lightly with the help of a masher.
- STEP 6th: take 4th tsp of clarified butter along with the same quantity of mustard oil, pour it into the pan and allow the oil to heat up on medium to low flame.
- STEP 7th: add 1tsp of cumin seeds, add ginger garlic paste and cook for 2 to 3 min until the raw smell of garlic goes away, add onion paste, cook it until it becomes golden in color now add the tomato puree, stir and let it cook for 10 to 12 min on low to the medium flame by covering the pan to prevent splash all around.
- STEP 8th: after 10 to 12 min, masala is cooked very well, add 1 tsp of turmeric powder, add 1 tsp of red chili powder, add 1 tsp of coriander powder,1/2 tsp of garam masala, 1 tsp of chole powder , add white salt as per needed,add bay leaf, and mix all the spices for 2 to 3 min on low flame. once the spices are mixed perfectly drain the chickpeas and add them to the mixture, stir till all the chickpeas are coated with the spices.
- STEP 9th: once the chickpeas are coated with the spices, add water as needed, you will need to adjust the quantity of water as desired to make the consistancy.cover the pan let it simmer at medium to low flame for around 30min.
- after 30 min, the gravy chickpeas and all the spices would have mixed well to gather. if you want to thicken gravy chole,boil the chole around 5 to 10 min on high flame additionally.
- once the chickpeas are cooked very well, add kasuri methi and 1 tsp of amchur powder optionally.
- STEP 10th: remove the spicy chole to serving bowl.garnish the Punjabi chole with fine fresh chopped coriander.
- SERVING SENSE: serve the chole with bhature,jeera rice, naan and puri.